Tuesday, June 8, 2021

How Wichita was successful at handling protests after the murder of George Floyd

 


I was recently asked at a community meeting why during last year’s protests and the most turbulent times of policing why Wichita fared much better in comparison to other cities, even those much smaller. I thought it was worth writing about because some wonder if our lack of significant issues was chance, luck or community dynamics. The environment at the time was volatile and a wrong decision on our part would have had significant ramifications. I believe the reasons we didn’t have the problems other’s had was due to a combination of laying the right foundation, planning, strategy, philosophy and overall great work by staff. All said in 2020 we had almost 100 protests and all except for a handful were peaceful.

Beginning in 2016, we began to focus on getting closer to the community and talked about frustrations, historical tension, misconceptions and have been working since to make amends. We recognize some policing efforts had unintended consequences and pledge to work hand in hand to help, not hurt our community. WPD, local leaders and our community came together during police protests and were able to turn frustration and volatility into a positive police-community gathering. Over the next 4 years, We continued to meet with community groups and build on that positive momentum, working towards being national leaders. 

When the protests began we were strategic in our effort to keep people and property safe as the environment was volatile. We saw cities all over the nation having significant problems with protests becoming violent. We believe confrontational and aggressive policing at protests can escalate crowd violence and premature or unnecessary use of force against a crowd can quickly turn a protest into a riot. We met with staff and conveyed the importance of treating protesters with dignity, respect, and protecting their constitutional right to assemble while still serving to protect property and non protesters.  WPD staff worked tirelessly behind the scenes using previously established relationships with community leaders to assist in reducing tension and potential problems. 

During the protests officers were faced with being shot at and had rocks, blocks, and bottles thrown at them, yet they worked extended shifts with no days off during the most difficult times in policing and performed exemplary. As challenging as those conditions were, we continued to follow the plan of communicating and working with the protest planners and community leaders. Obviously we were forced to make some arrests, but overall we had few problems and confrontations when we compare how other cities faired.  WPD officers handled themselves with professionalism and I know it was the trusted community relationships we’d built and our protest response strategy and philosophy that prevented Wichita from having the issues that so many other cities had. While Wichita didn’t receive national press or recognition for our successful peace keeping last year, sometimes no news is the best news.

Here are a couple of emails I received from individuals about their contact with our officers that highlights how our officers handled themselves:

“I was arrested by WPD at a protest and ironically it was my first decent experience with the police. I wasn’t out there to hate police, throw bottles, be violent, vandalize or steal. I don’t hate the police, I hate my experiences WITH them. I know that behind the badge and title we share so much. We are fathers, brothers, share interests etc. We see this divide because of too many opinions and not enough conversation and maybe one day this battle will turn to handshakes because if we want change then we better be willing to help facilitate it. I’m reaching out because while I know this struggle between community and police is far from over, i know that we can only push so much before being pushed back and I deserved what came to me so will not be fighting the charge at court. that’s not the reason for this message. This message is for how my incident was handled...this is a very tough time to be an officer but still, I was met with professionalism and decency. I was hoping, if you ever find the time, look at my case to get the names of the officers involved and thank them for me...they were the kind of cops that will maybe one day be the reason this ends and unity develops...let them know that I just may one day learn to trust the police because of them.”

This email was reference those getting ready for a protest at City Hall:

“Hi Chief.

I just watched a couple of your guys stop and take the time to help some folks unload a bunch coolers and water from a car in front of City Hall. They took the time to talk with them, and made not one but two trips helping them carry some obviously heavy stuff from the street up to the building.

There weren’t any cameras on them. They didn’t have to do it, I know it’s hot out in a vest and navy blue on a day like today. I saw it and I appreciated it. Thank you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment