Friday, September 30, 2016

Growing Up In A Police Family

I still like to get out and work the street at night and have been doing it regularly since arriving here in January.  My family arrived this summer as my kids turned age six and nine.  I've been a police chief longer than my nine year old has been alive, so their experience has been solely with me in that role.  My daughter has never expressed much interest in my work and we're careful not to watch the news in their presence. While showing strong support for police, I've always been careful to not create a reason for my kids to worry about me.




Recently, I've noticed a change in my nine year old in regard to my profession.  It began with her consistently asking me what time I will be home from work and narrowing down where I will be and what I will be doing.  On a recent Friday night when I mentioned I was going into work, she pled with me to stay home.  She didn't say why she wanted me to stay home; she didn't have to. I could see sadness and worry in her face. It was apparent to me she was worried for my safety. She learned I will not be the administrator sitting behind a desk, but a first responder to dangerous situations. 




This was the first time I had experienced what countless police families have faced; the fact your child now understands the dangers of police work and what can happen in our line of work.  It was a feeling I will never forget as my mind wandered to police friends with kids and how all of them experienced this at some point. 




Later that night, I was clearing a civil dispute when I was called by my wife.  She told me my daughter was now asleep after crying hysterically because she was worried about me being hurt by a "bad guy."  My daughter is growing up fast and now realizes the dangers of this noble profession.




Here's more of what I'm talking about....Take a look at this story and video.  http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/family-slain-officer-douglas-barney-goodbye-hero-article-1.2510826


or if the video doesn't load


https://www.facebook.com/fox13newsutah/videos/vb.75831650585/10153858966500586/?type=2&theater

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Chief! So sorry she would cry! We always worried about you here too! Best wishes to Kansas as they gained a great fellow! Linda

    ReplyDelete